Plasma Ball Experiments

• I came across some photo's in the files of the late Dr Bill Collis titled 'Ball lightning' in a folder named Sochi 2005. I have asked a number of people and they are not sure what it is except maybe it's a hydrogen fireball. They look like a plasmoid in mid air without confinement, which is very interesting to me.

I would be interested if anyone knows anything about the experiment in the photos or who the person is in the photo's. Thanks in advance!

• It's glowing water vapour and plasma - from a high voltage pulse between hoop and spike electrodes that are below the surface of water in a plastic bucket.

I'll look for some papers...

Meanwhile, the BBC even talked about a similar demonstration, in 2013

New insights into creating ball lightning in the lab
    US researchers say they have developed a more efficient way to produce a kind of ball lightning in the lab.
    www.bbc.co.uk

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited once, last by Frogfall ().

• The DOI for the US paper mentioned by the BBC is 10.1021/jp400001y (it's available via the usual places).

The 2005 images that Bill had are not from the US study, as they are much earlier. If you look through the citation list on this page, for the above paper, the papers listed are probably worth looking at. They are all later than 2013, of course.

The references in the 2013 US paper include quite a number from around 2005 - when various researchers in eastern Europe were already doing similar things.

Bill's photos probably came from this conference, summarized at New Energy Times. (At which Bill attended, and gave a presentation about the ISCMNS)

"The most misleading assumptions are the ones you don't even know you're making" - Douglas Adams

Edited 9 times, last by Frogfall ().

• Fabrice David told me:-

It is probably a picture made by Dr. Shabanov.

He is used to doing this very dangerous experiments on his wooden desk, he is very lucky to still be alive.

Unlike our Russian colleagues, I do not think that these are “Plasmoids”. In my opinion, it is only hydrogen bubbles in stable combustion. But it remains very interesting as a high-efficiency electrolysis method for storing renewable energy in the form of “green” hydrogen. The electrodes are gaseous, so there is no polarization.

And the problem of overunity remains open, but I have not talked about it in my publications, because it is too sensitive a subject. Here is my paper in Infinite Energy:

https://www.researchgate.net/p…icHJvZmlsZSIsInByZXZpb3Vz UGFnZSI6InByb2ZpbGUifX0

Unlike our Russian colleagues, I do not think that these are “Plasmoids”. In my opinion, it is only hydrogen bubbles in stable combustion.

I agree. I fear that this kind of work has been creating unnecessary confusion for over 20 years, and has possibly set back ball lightning research by a considerable amount.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.