The Playground

• @Shave

We need a token skeptic around so other skeptics can't accuse us of being intolerant of opposing views.

So, exactly why did you ban Mary Yugo? Oh. I get it. You can only have one token skeptic.

Well, this is supposed to be a forum about lenr, which means discussion. I don't see much of that. Most seem to keep what they're doing secret, and won't even answer direct questions. How is anything going to be advanced in that environment?

• We need a token skeptic around so other skeptics can't accuse us of being intolerant of opposing views.

Good point. I'm not asking that hux gets the boot but trying to show what the consequences can be when you stifle opposing views. He doesn't get it. You lose trust in the people he most wants us to believe in by not debating opposing views.1 of those consequences is my family will never take mRNA vaccines.

• Reuters news; EU adds severe allergies as side effect of Novavax

The European Medicines Agency on Thursday identified severe allergic reactions as potential side effects of Novavax Inc's (NVAX.O) COVID-19 vaccine.

The vaccine was authorized by U.S. regulators on Wednesday, and its product label in the United States warns against administering the shot to people with a history of allergic reactions to any components of the shot.

• So, exactly why did you ban Mary Yugo? Oh. I get it. You can only have one token skeptic.

Well, this is supposed to be a forum about lenr, which means discussion. I don't see much of that. Most seem to keep what they're doing secret, and won't even answer direct questions. How is anything going to be advanced in that environment?

Mary Yugo was suspended for a while for insulting behaviour rather than skepticism, and then came back as '7 of 20' and was not banned, but has AFAIK not been seen in any of the usual internet haunts since the beginning of the pandemic.

seven_of_twenty

• Here are two depressing articles about COVID:

Get Ready for the Forever Plague | The Tyee
    Public health officials’ COVID complacency has opened the door to new illnesses and devastating long-term damage.
    thetyee.ca

‘Forever Plague’: Nikiforuk Responds to Critics | The Tyee
    On Monday The Tyee writer published a detailed caution against COVID minimizing that went viral and sparked fierce debate. Here’s his response.
    thetyee.ca

Here is an article by the same author describing the homicidal public health response in Sweden, which killed and disabled thousands of people, and continued long after anyone could see it was a disaster:

Sweden’s Deadly COVID Failure | The Tyee
    The verdict is in on the nation’s light touch approach. More died. Herd immunity proved a mirage.
    thetyee.ca

Why anyone would point to Sweden as an example of how to respond to COVID is beyond me.

• The vaccine was authorized by U.S. regulators on Wednesday, and its product label in the United States warns against administering the shot to people with a history of allergic reactions to any components of the shot.

All vaccines have that warning. Before they give you a vaccine, they ask: "are you allergic to . . ." [this, that, and the other, mostly stuff I have never heard of]. They sometimes ask if you are allergic to rubber, which I gather is sometimes used in the stopper. Here is the insert and warning information for the Pfizer mRNA vaccine. Regarding allergic reactions, see items 4 and 11

https://www.fda.gov/media/151707/download

• Now , I am not an expert, but I am an expert of my body and the things that are good for it and bad.

No you are not. That's absurd. Any doctor or biologist knows FAR more than you do about your body. What you say is more or less equivalent to me saying, "I can land an airplane in Microsoft Flight Simulator, so I know as much about flying airplanes as any commercial pilot."

I have never had a flu vaccine.

Then you are damn fool, and you have probably never had influenza. I have, and it was the most frightening and miserable month of my life, and the only time I have been hospitalized. It was like drowning at first, and then with pleurisy, like having sandpaper in your lungs every time you draw a breath, day and night, for weeks. I have also seen several people die from it, including a 30-year-old. It is a very serious illness. In the 1970s, before there were effective vaccines, a nurse I knew watched a dozen people die from it, and could do nothing. If you had any idea how serious, you would be first in line to get a vaccination.

Chemicals have no place in my life.

Oh really? Not even H2O? Here is a warning label for a common food. Would you eat this, or does it have too many chemicals?

• I don't eat processed foods. Make our own juices, buy local meats, no preservatives, and grow our veggies. H20?

Just crazy

Another good reason to be careful what you eat. The FDA just reported that Covid is in frozen meats and can last 30 to 60 days and still be viable. Enjoy your dinner tonight.

• I still can't wrap my mind over your first comment. My doctor doesn't call me to say my shoulder hurts,I call him, give some details and he makes an educated guess as to what the next step is, same as my freaking thermometer. As for nuts and bolts yes they are the experts but without my observations, THEY ARE USELESS and forced to be investigate. Why is it highly recommended to get a second opinion if they are as perfect as you seem to think.

• I don't eat processed foods.

No cheese, yoghurt, wine or tofu? No smoked meat or bacon?

I'll bet you mean you don't eat food that has been processed with a technique developed in the last 200 years. Older processing such as fermentation are probably okay with you. That may be a wise choice. I myself don't care for highly processed modern snack foods. Or Macdonald's food. I don't like the taste. I am not concerned about new chemicals or additives because I eat such small amounts.

There is evidence that smoked meat and bacon cause cancer, but the likelihood of harm is small. There is a lot of confusion about this in the mass media. Researchers reported there is a definite, statistically significant increase in cancer. The NIH says the increase is 29% to 49%. The thing is, that's 49% of practically nothing. Something like 1.0% to 1.5%. Not a significant health risk when you eat only small amounts.

Meat Consumption and Cancer Risk
    www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

As of 2015:

Meat and Cancer: The W.H.O. Report and What You Need to Know (Published 2015)
    Answers to a few questions about a report that linked colorectal cancer to the consumption of processed meats and red meat.
    www.nytimes.com

"What exactly is the risk?

Small, compared with smoking or alcohol consumption. Colorectal cancer is the third most common non-skin cancer in the United States, and will be diagnosed in an estimated 133,000 patients this year, a wide majority of them over age 50. The lifetime risk is about 5 percent.

W.H.O. estimated that 50 grams daily of processed meat or 100 grams daily of red meat might increase the risk of colorectal cancer by 18 percent and 17 percent, in that order, over the absolute risk — if indeed red meat were related to cancer at all, which the report also acknowledged is not known. . . ."

I note:

1. 50 g/day is a lot!
    2. 18% of 5% is ~0.9%. You go from ~5% risk to ~6%, if you eat lots of bacon every day. Eat it once every few weeks and I doubt the risk could be measured.
  • I stand corrected, I smoke a turkey or a Boston butt a couple times a year.Thanks for the tip. Veggies for the most part are par boiled and canned but we do ferment some cabbage each year.

• As for nuts and bolts yes they are the experts but without my observations, THEY ARE USELESS and forced to be investigate.

Equally true of veterinarians. Do you think dogs and horses are experts in biology?

Why is it highly recommended to get a second opinion if they are as perfect as you seem to think.

I never said they are perfect. Don't put words in my mouth. I said that someone who has spent 8 years studying a subject and practicing every day knows far more about it than someone with general knowledge from high school. For example, an electrical engineer in a microchip factory knows way more about integrated circuits than I do. John Bockris knew enough about electrochemistry to write a two-volume textbook on the subject, around 1500 pages. That's a lot more than you or I know. For example, I'll bet you did not know this:

"2.16.3. A Reconsideration of the Methods for Determining the Primary Hydration Numbers Presented in Section 2.15

Most of the methods employed to yield primary hydration numbers have already been presented (Section 2.15). Thus, one of the simplest methods, which has been applied to organic molecules as well as ions in solution, is that originated by Passynski. As with most methods, it purports to give the total solvation number for the salt, but this should not be counted as a difficulty. More to the point is Onori’s criticism that the primary hydration shell is not incompressible. Onori has measured this while dropping Passynski’s assumption, but the solvation numbers he gets seem unreasonably large and may be invalidated by his counter assumption, i.e., that solvation is temperature independent.

The mobility method (Section 2.10.1) has the advantage of yielding individual solvation numbers directly (as long as the transport numbers are known). However, this positive point is offset by the fact that the viscosity term used should be the local viscosity near the ion, which will be less than the viscosity of the solvent . . ."

p. 142

If you were to wake up Bockris in the middle of the night and ask him to summarize Passyniski's method, he could have done it. He was famous for doing complex extemporaneous blackboard discussions.

I happen to know a lot about Japanese grammar. Possibly more than some native speakers, at least when it comes to conscious knowledge and facts that I can list on a blackboard. If you wake me up in the middle of the night with an unusually complex Japanese "utterance" (what the linguists call a sentence), I will understand it. (Yes, I am sure, because I have done this countless times.) But I do not know as much as Samuel E. Martin, who wrote the textbook "A Reference Grammar of Japanese, " 1198 pages. There is always someone who knows WAY more than you do. That person is not always right, but you are damn fool if you think your knowledge and your judgment is 0.1% as reliable as theirs.

• Here is another good reason to get vaccinated, wear a mask, and if you are infected, get approved antivirals promptly. These steps reduce the likelihood of long COVID. Roughly 20% of severe COVID cases lead to long COVID. It can be a horrifying disease. See:

External Content twitter.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Some antivaxxers say "98% of people survive COVID." That is true of the population as a whole, although the survival rate is much lower for people over 60. But "surviving" tells only half the story. A severe case of long COVID will ruin your life. No one knows if you will ever recover.

• Why anyone would point to Sweden as an example of how to respond to COVID is beyond me.

Sweden did the same what many US states and some Swiss states did too. They sent back sick elderly people to care homes. The same has been done in ancient time to fight cities. Throw sick people (pest) over the wall...

Sweden did much better than USA that is among the worst countries together with Canada, France, Australia ,New Zeeland. Sweden (Norway,Denmark, Switzerland) did not destroy small business and childrens health...

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.