MIZUNO REPLICATION AND MATERIALS ONLY

• Palladium on CaCO3 is known as a Lindlar Catalyst. It's widely used for hydrogenation in synthesis of organics such as Vitamin A. In such applications a "catalyst poison" is added to reduce the hydrogenation to a single bond. What I see in my prepared mesh is a very crude form of such a catalyst, where the Calcite is mixed into the deposited Pd by the burnishing process. Details of this structure can be seen in the image below, from my paper from August 2019.

7FHwxB-kBt1GGG-dTQrifraNHAT06pCN7wp3h032eYd5u3HY0oJ4xrjIzuE6iZQu-W0fzCsQ2u-Cx-YJqPXBwopuITuQq1alJIWd38O2TTQSMxED92yrPIVJS-0nraT7HEJYKLkp

• I have changed the 120 V lamps (in the bank of four) inside the calorimeter.

They are as follows from left to right: 75 W Sylvania Black Light, 200 W Sylvania, 150 W Sylvania, and one of the original 25 W Sylvania lamps from previous (in the same position). This gives many input power configurations, currently in mid test.

The tests will proceed with the following increments: 75 W, 150 W, 200 W, 250 W (75+25+150), 300 W (75+25+200), 350 W (150+200), 375 W (25+150+200), 425 W (150+200+75), and 450 W (75+25+150+200), each for at least two hours, sequentially.

Currently, the 300 W step is running.

Also, the earlier 100 W lamp used is not made by Sylvania as previously noted. It is a generic, bulb probably Chinese in origin, and I suspect it is actually rated at 130V although it is marked 120 V.

The Sylvania lamps seem to be performing very close to the rated power, (likely almost exactly if normalized to 120 V from the actual experiment voltages) so that brand is currently being used exclusively where possible.

I also have acquired a 1200 W, adjustable 0-120 V DC power supply with current and voltage limiting. I need to change the current and voltage datalogger setup before it can be tested above 5 A or 70 V, so that will have to wait for a bit.

• Palladium on CaCO3 is known as a Lindlar Catalyst. It's widely used for hydrogenation in synthesis of organics such as Vitamin A. In such applications a "catalyst poison" is added to reduce the hydrogenation to a single bond. What I see in my prepared mesh is a very crude form of such a catalyst, where the Calcite is mixed into the deposited Pd by the burnishing process. Details of this structure can be seen in the image below, from my paper from August 2019.

7FHwxB-kBt1GGG-dTQrifraNHAT06pCN7wp3h032eYd5u3HY0oJ4xrjIzuE6iZQu-W0fzCsQ2u-Cx-YJqPXBwopuITuQq1alJIWd38O2TTQSMxED92yrPIVJS-0nraT7HEJYKLkp

I have seen platinum and palladium with native silver and gold naturally occurring in carbonate (mostly calcite) veins, associated with selenium.

That’s all I am saying about that other than it is true.

• I have seen platinum and palladium with native silver and gold naturally occurring in carbonate (mostly calcite) veins, associated with selenium.

My recent tests have shown large amounts of CO2 in out gassing when the prepared mesh is heated above ~250°C. This can only come from the decomposition of the CaCO3, leaving CaO in its place. If the Calcite is an active catalyst in the loading of hydrogen into the Ni substrate, its conversion to the oxide may actually inhibit the desired result. This experiment gets trickier the more we learn.

• If that is so, you have made a valuable discovery that would reduce the cost and emissions from cement manufacture by an order of magnitude.

Well, I'm open to other explanations. Even a way to test the idea. Hmm, how about processing the mesh with DI water instead of tap water. No CaCO3 would be deposited, so if the hypothesis is correct there would be no evolved CO2 when heated. I'll get right on it....

• That would work -no carbon in, no carbon out.

Then you could try mixing powdered calcium carbonate with powdered nickel and heating to 250. The products should be easily separated. Test for CaO by dissolving some of the powder in water to give you calcium hydroxide, Calcium carbonate is insoluble of course. get a straw and blow bubbles into the solution, if it turns milky you definitely made calcium oxide - the CO2 from your breath turns it back into calcium carbonate.

Ill spare you the palladium powder version of this. My money's on the nickel.

• My money's on the nickel.

Maybe, but it's a complex chemical environment, including Pd and hydrogen as well as the Ni. It seems to me that to be a proper test, only one variable should be changed. For example, your proposed test with Ni powder would certainly be much simpler to do, but the metal particles might be passivated by the oxide surface layer.

Consider then that the deposited CaCO3 has been ground into the Ni mesh by the burnishing, breaking the surface oxide layer. Some of it has also been mechanically intercalated with the deposited Pd. Either of these conditions might be essential to the decomposition effect.

And then there's the Lindlar Catalyst hydrogenation reaction. The diagram below is from the article linked in my earlier post. All the elements involved are in the cell.

https://cdn1.byjus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Catalytic-Action-of-Lindlar-Catalyst.png

• For example, your proposed test with Ni powder would certainly be much simpler to do, but the metal particles might be passivated by the oxide surface layer.

Some will, and usually some won't. I'm not talking forensic chemistry here, but bench-top cookery. Such things are my usual first step when pondering possibilities. ETA - maybe the oxide helps - nobody knows right now.

• Some will, and usually some won't. I'm not talking forensic chemistry here, but bench-top cookery. Such things are my usual first step when pondering possibilities. ETA - maybe the oxide helps - nobody knows right now.

I don't have a suitable stainless steel assembly on hand, but I can probably put together something with 3/8" tubing and swagelok fittings to hold some Ni and CaCO3 powder. It would connect to an RGA port. By means of the capillary sampling, that would also serve to evacuate the vessel before heating in my small furnace while monitoring the gas content. Not exactly bench-top cooking but close enough.

• Plot of recent Lamp test results.

You can see how noisy the AC power is here during the day. At about 30000 seconds is 9:00 AM.

Straight nominal 120 V used, averaging closer to 115.5 V for most ramps.

Obviously going for 1000 W in this set up would be dangerous; the outlet air would probably be around 95 C, if it can even be evacuated fast enough.

I will plot these values up with the last values (shortly) and see how it hangs together.

Edited once, last by Paradigmnoia: I accidentally put 388 where 397 is supposed to be, so the image is updated 2021-01-17 ().

• Recent recap about replication by JR.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.