The perpetual “is LENR even real” argument thread.

• what does all this have to do with Putin or Russia?! I never even came close to those terms. I am still trying to figure out what your position is regarding "cold Fusion" please? Land grabs, errrrr what?

Are you actually accusing me of trying to shut 'dissenting" voices?! that would be amusing, since I am not part of the (or any) establishment and feel like our voice (believers that LENR is a real thing and science is not settled) is being censored pretty much everywhere, you know like papers not accepted, because if would violate the Copenhagen interpretation... which did happen to us when offering a paper on SAM, because it is not based on the Copenhagen Interpretation and neutrons are regarded as a fact (yes there is such a thing as the free-neutron, but not as a fundamental particle!), despite the large amount of evidence that the nuclear electron is a real thing and it works even better often than the concept of the neutron. In fact the book we wrote is basically a huge paper.

My simple problem with all this is that I feel mistreated by your writings often ( my perception) and feel like you are treating everyone here as one of your students that need some rectifying to the "settled science". Well Never going to happen, since I do not accept the Copenhagen Interpretation, neutron stars or heavy metals created by colliding neutron stars, nor the Big Bang, nor time travel and most certainly not a believer in dark matter or energy and last one, antimatter. All this is not needed to explain anything on a atomic or nuclear level. That is what I am trying to show others here on this forum. I try to do this via the Structured Atom Model and we wrote a whole book about this. I would ask you to at least try and read up on this, or watch the many video's and presentations about this. Perhaps there is something there worth discussing...
    I can provide you with lots of additional information, but our book is most complete and thorough with lots of details and how this all works. In short, the structure of the nucleus as proposed in SAM is key to understanding all the physical and chemical attributes of atoms, meaning the nucleus organization is dictating for example the valence value, or how many isotopes can exist for an element, or what and how the neutron drip line comes into being, Or even the energy released by nuclear fission and on top of that why the fission of Uranium for example always breaks up in 2 different uneven chunks (elements).

There is so much more, but I think I made my point. It would be interesting to see you dive into this material and am serious about this,. please do look at our work and be critical and skeptical and all that. No problem, I think you will see that we are really not that far from mainstream science as you may perceive, despite me not accepting all the mentioned concepts. Norman Cook, pointed out in his book "models for Atomic Nuclei" how the current atomic models are all limited and as far as I know not one model ever provided an explanation for the uneven splitting of the nucleus. I think SAM does. but people like yourself should look at it first.

I am really trying to be polite and very honest here and try to stick to the topic at hand, and on top of that perhaps we can have some sensible debate about all this.

Should you be prepared to read up on this I will sent you the book personally in E format. This stuff is important! and I do not want this childish fighting.

Please can I ask you where you stand on the concept of LENR, meaning with a small input of energy we release the nuclear forces (energy)? Just provide me with a few sentences that would reflect your position, that would be handy to know.

• You perhaps have paid attention to only part of the thread. I am a relatively undramatic person. However when accused by multiple people here (with no pushback from mods) of being a profit-motivated company with multiple employees all pretending to be me to create Russian disinformation I get annoyed.

There is pushback. One 2 week ban and other actions.

• So my question is in fact to THH, What is your interest in LENR and do you even consider this possible? If yes, then please be constructive in figuring out how and why this works instead of all the negativity and the arrogance to be quite frank.

My interest in LENR is that I like mysteries - an I like resolving them.

I would be (intellectually) equally happy with a positive or negative resolution: but since LENR is so many different mysteries I expect both. In fact we have clear negative resolutions for Rossi's apparent experiments except for one where there is a possible negative solution but the public information is not detailed enough to say for sure that is what happened.

We thus far have limited positive resolutions for electron screening enhancement of fusion rates (has been measured and validated many times). Limited because we still do not know to what extent if it all it can provide true low energy fusion - but when it has been measured tehre have been obvious high energy products so this is what I call type 2 fusion.

Otehrs here don't make that distinction but it is a natural one. There have always been (read Hagelstein's early work) two barriers to acceptance of cold fusion:

(1) Coulomb (sic) :)

(2) where are the expected easy-to-detect high energy products.

Even though some products can be screened by reaction containers, reactions can occur in thinner or more permeable to give products containers, and products at even low rates can be detected. Indeed one whole strand of LENR evidence (the

SPAWAR and other CR39 stuff) uses such detection although CR39 tracks are frustrating because there can be false positives - as opposed to Geiger counter etection for which there are no false positives.

So - type 1 - it is possible to get round the Coulomb barrier to have usuable nuclear reaction rates at low energies. Not much believed mainstream but there are definite attested by experiment mechanisms and theories for this.

Type 2 - when LENR happens there is some mechanism which universally reduces to almost zero the detectable high energy products.

The theoretical basis for type 2 has gaps (that is - I know of Halgelstein's work - which is interesting but has not quite got any realisation that I know. People here have suggested Storms recent - which has two gaps as I noted somewhere here we could discuss in detail on another thread) because it is interesting - except no-one will want that I guess).

The experimental basis for type 2 is lower than for type 1. This is partly because high energy products are the most certain way that nuclear reactions can be detected. All you need is production much higher - say 100 X - than background. That is normally quite easy to get if one nuclear reaction generates a normal amount of high energy products (at least one).

I realise the above is a generalisation - there are different high energy products detected in different ways. As I say a detailed analysis of which products would be expected detected from which experiments given a theory (like that of Storms) one could look back at all of the old results, compare claimed excess heat with lack of high energy products, and check a quantitative match. E.g. those CR39 experiments.

The problem with that is that the observed characteristics of LENR in respect of high energy products make distinguishing between LENR and no LENR on the basis of them difficult;

(1) products of a type that are almost always not detected (or not certainly detected, given that background is variable, CBR events can be misleading)

(2) a reaction which is usually not consistently quantitatively replicable - so that absence of expected higher energy products can never disprove a theory - it could just be that those exact materials and conditions do not work.

Finally - what about LEC?

LEC shows replicable, certain, absolute ionisation of air for days from an activated metal plate. However high energy products have been ruled out down to quite low energies. So, if LEC has evidence for nuclear reactions then it is type 1 - on the other hand skeptics like me would reckon LEC comes from low energy surface-based ion or electron emission. There are (not clear and maybe new or at least unexpected science) mechanisms for this. Those same mechanisms might be implicated in type 1 or type 2 LENR - so this is a connection - but it is quite weak. Whatever the connection - LEC ionisation is a mystery not explained (AFAIK) so untill we have a precise explanation it is well worth following up and for me the precise explanation will be fascinating whether it provides positive evidence for LENR or no evidence for LENR.

For the life of me - I can't see why the above motivations and analysis is contentious here. Which is why I used in a post a while back the expression "fan club" when people on the basis of my posts several people here have said that they don't want me to post.

Obviously, for me, being told that I can post but only with positive points would be unacceptable. You do not solve mysteries by looking at only one side. All to often type 1 LENR evidence is claimed here where some other explanation is possible so it does not seem to me much of a mystery. I post the (negative) possibility and people feel I am taking their hope away. Sometimes people point out that I am wrong (and are correct) in which case I agree with them. Often Jed points out I am wrong - but he is mistaking what I am saying. In that case I point out the misunderstanding which is useful for everyone I think.

But if you look at experimental results in that way, and LENR of any type does exist, you will have a very skewed view of what are its characteristics which is likely to waste time. Better to look with clear eyes at all the evidence.

Of course if this site is political advocacy, and a route for funders to find those doing experimental work, I should probably be banned because some funders will be more attracted by an overly positive view than an accurate one.

That is one reason I keep on offering to mods here to leave if they want that. But really, any decent funder would get info in other ways than this open board.

• That is one reason I keep on offering to mods here to leave if they want that. But really, any decent funder would get info in other ways than this open board.

So you do, and we always say 'we want you to stay'. As for funders using this space for due diligence? Not in my experience, but they do use it to make potential contacts in the field.

My interest in LENR is that I like mysteries - an I like resolving them.

ETA. I don't think you can do that from a seat in the upper circle.

• I think his claim is not that we are all stupid. He is saying that hundreds of the world's top electrochemists and experts in tritium and helium are stupid. Every one of them made elementary mistakes that THH instantly recognized even without reading their papers. He is saying, for example:

• Mel Miles forgot to take steps to ensure the helium is not from the atmosphere.
    • Fleischmann and Pons cannot tell the difference between a waterline that falls 1 cm and 8 cm. It never occurred to them, their staff, or their visitors that when copious foam blocks their view, they cannot tell where the waterline is. A 5-year-old would not make this mistake, but they did.
    • The scientist who designed the national tritium lab at Los Alamos and the tritium analysis equipment at the PPPL Tokamak is an incompetent who cannot even detect tritium at 10 times background or 100 times background.
    • The Safety Division experts at BARC cannot detect tritium, even though their lives depend on detecting it.
    • The Chairman of the Indian Atomic Energy Commission and the scientist who designed their atomic bombs do not understand nuclear physics. They were convinced the effect is real, and they published extensive papers describing their reasons, but THH dismisses them -- probably without even reading them -- because he knows more about nuclear physics than they do.

There are 4,863 papers on file at LENR-CANR.org. THH is absolutely certain that every single one of them has some elementary mistake that he can find instantly. Every one is wrong, and there is no reason to believe that cold fusion is real.

If someone says, "I think there is a mistake in a paper by So-and-so (obscure researcher who claims 2% excess heat) he may be right. There probably is a mistake. There are many poorly done studies in the cold fusion literature. But when someone who has not even bothered to read Miles -- or even my baby-food level explanation of Miles -- and yet he starts listing reasons why Miles is wrong, that is not a critique. It is trolling.

Jed - this is an argument that can never end. It (the argument) is not rational, though difficult for either of us to stop - we both share a terrier-like inclination to go on asserting are points when they seem not to be understood by others.

I could nit-pick and point out your over-generalisations above for rhetorical effect. I won't unless you ask for that.

I could point out - and you would agree but give less weight to than me - file drawer effect.

The real difference between us, which I have noted a few times and you not acknowledged, is our attitude towards the interpretation of experimental data. You believe that an unbiassed expert, looking at the LENR data, would be convinced that LENR existed. I don't. And that stems from you being more certain than me about things. I am only ever that certain about maths, or physics that is essentially maths made manifest (in which case of course I still know it can be only an approximation). I am never so certain about anomalous results, unless clearly certainly, replicable. That hurdle LENR finds difficult.

So I look at things and start to give them credence either when there is proof so clear (and of course so replicable) that it would easily convince the scientific community. Till them I don't assume they are true - nor do i think that assumption would help me to work out whether they are true of not.

These generalisations from you or me don't help. And when we look at details - as with F&P and foamgate - we disagree. I'm not trying to continue those arguments.

PS - as for not reading Miles - I did - a long time ago. And made the same points then I make now. And you did not understand me then. I have now forgotten all that (it is a summary - and maybe remembered in parts wrong). I will go back to it and rework it, but I remember the disagreement then - which came when I was reading the relevant papers - so I'd expect it to be rehashed. I am happy to do that.

• I am only every that certain about maths, or physics that is essentially maths made manifest (in which case of course I still know it can be only an approximation). I am never so certain about anomalous results.

Are you sure about the Schrodinger equation, or do you assume that it may be just an approximation? Here I do not mean an approximation to the Dirac equation, but an approximation to the generalized Schrodinger equation, which takes into account gravity (acceleration).

• what does all this have to do with Putin or Russia?! I never even came close to those terms. I am still trying to figure out what your position is regarding "cold Fusion" please? Land grabs, errrrr what?

I have no idea - it was others who have repeatedly, from time-to-time viewed me as a paid disinformant.

I mentioned it because of the irony: I, like pretty well everyone else in the UK, detests Putin for his actions, and the repression of dissent is indeed not what this forum does, but it it what many voices here are calling for. Since this is a private corner of the internet, and I don't like to go on saying things where not welcome - if I feel overall not welcome (rather than just getting a bit of flak) I am happy to desist here.

• Of course if this site is political advocacy, and a route for funders to find those doing experimental work, I should probably be banned because some funders will be more attracted by an overly positive view than an accurate one.

That is one reason I keep on offering to mods here to leave if they want that. But really, any decent funder would get info in other ways than this open board.

Everyone wants to dive on their sword and be a martyr lately. Must be the moon phase. Now stop being a drama queen. We are NOT asking you to leave. However, we have asked that you start giving credit to the researchers devoting their lives to LENR, that they DO know what they are doing.

Jed has said this well before, so pardon me saying the same thing...so far everything you feel obsessed with "teaching" them is nothing new to them. Yes, they are not stupid and have thought of all this before. They know it is a mystery, and they know they have not put all the pieces of the puzzle together. Little of it makes sense, and contradicts most of what is known science. They were well aware of all this from the very first conferences, through to today.

They have tried telling you that in so many words, but it does not seem to be registering. Now please, take all this into consideration as you carry out your duties as our most important resident skeptic.

• The levels detected in all the non-retracted LENR experiments are very low, even though in some cases 10X the background.

1. There are no retracted LENR experiments as far as I know. Which ones do you have mind? Which of these included reports of tritium? Please be specific.
    2. Levels of 10 times background to 50 times background are not "very low." They are very high. They are so high that if that level of tritium were in the air, the radiation alarms would be triggered and the laboratory would have to be abandoned. Therefore, the tritium cannot be leaking into the cell from the surroundings.
    3. Every expert in tritium I have spoken with has said it would be impossible to miss these levels. It would be like not being able to measure 20 to 100 W of heat, or the difference between 1 cm and 8 cm. (However, you believe that researchers are unable to measure 20 to 100 W, and they cannot tell the difference between 1 cm and 8 cm, so I guess this argument does not sway you.)
  • I have no idea - it was others who have repeatedly, from time-to-time viewed me as a paid disinformant.

I mentioned it because of the irony: I, like pretty well everyone else in the UK, detests Putin for his actions, and the repression of dissent is indeed not what this forum does, but it it what many voices here are calling for. Since this is a private corner of the internet, and I don't like to go on saying things where not welcome - if I feel overall not welcome (rather than just getting a bit of flak) I am happy to desist here.

That is a very biased position you take there, a political one and since we are here in an international community, as mentioned, a guest, I would rather not see that. I consider many Russian people friends or at least friendly and the rhetoric about Russia in the UK media or any media should not be repeated here unless you want to invoke a counter narrative.

Again I want to invite you to take a look at a recent made post about the mass of the 'neutron', perhaps that is more to your liking? I am asking there for all to take a good look and think it through, to check my rather simple math and how this may some day lead to better insights in the nuclear realm and as a consequence our most fundamental physics.
    Or better yet, read the work the SAM team has done in the footsteps of the late Norman Cook about the structure of the nucleus. Should the nucleus not be organized? or is it a chaotic lump of stuff? I first it is the first....

Is the neutron actually less massive than the proton is?!

• Are you sure about the Schrodinger equation, or do you assume that it may be just an approximation? Here I do not mean an approximation to the Dirac equation, but an approximation to the generalized Schrodinger equation, which takes into account gravity (acceleration).

Ok so we have:

1 newtonian physics

2 special relativity (and 4-tensor reformulations of physics)

3 general relativity (incorporating space-time curvature)

1 approximates 2 which approximates 3

Then we have

1. QM

2 QED (which is a 4-tensor formulation)

3. QED with curved space-time corrections

4. Not-yet-understood unifications of GR and QM in which entanglement generates space-time

1approximates 2 approximates 3 approximates 4

4 does not exist yet, but it is clearly in my biassed but informed opinion "real" in some sense - enough work has been done that pans out for that. Not claiming I understand or can work on that math of 4.

The Schrodinger equation (one formulation of QM) is indeed an approximation!

THH

• I consider many Russian people friends or at least friendly and the rhetoric about Russia in the UK media or any media should not be repeated here unless you want to invoke a counter narrative.

Best to leave off politics. I always do - except when accused multiple times of being something specific and absurd that is political.

• 1approximates 2 approximates 3 approximates 4

4 does not exist yet, but it is clearly in my biassed but informed opinion "real" in some sense - enough work has been done that pans out for that. Not claiming I understand or can work on that math of 4.

And in my humble opinion, 3 does not approach 4 in any way, but 1 is easy to approach 4 as a result of modification of the Schrodinger equation. Similarly, LENR overcomes the Coulomb barrier.

• These generalisations from you or me don't help. And when we look at details - as with F&P and foamgate - we disagree.

Yes, that is clear. You think that when Fleischmann, Pons, their staff, their visitors look at a cell with so much foam no one can see the waterline, they think they can see the waterline. They all agree they can see it. In other words, you think these people are insane. That is not plausible, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to continue those arguments.

I will not let you or the readers here forget that this argument is outrageous nonsense. So are all your other arguments, but this one is particularly ridiculous. From time to time, I will remind the readers that you evidently think F&P are lunatics. I am sure you will come back and repeat this again and again, just as you keep saying that tritium at 10 times background is "very low." Saying "very low" does not make it low, but you have the notion that repeating something will persuade people, even when it is odds with the textbooks and what every expert says.

PS - as for not reading Miles - I did - a long time ago. And made the same points then I make now. And you did not understand me then.

You are saying that Miles did not understand you. Not me. All of the points in my summary paper came from Miles -- from his papers, lectures, and comments to me. He addressed all of the issues you raised, and many others as well. He reviewed my paper and corrected it, so I am sure I have reported his views accurately.

Miles and I understood what you wrote. We understood it perfectly, long before you wrote it, because other people said the same things. I wrote a careful exposition addressing the issues these people brought up.

I will go back to it and rework it, but I remember the disagreement then - which came when I was reading the relevant papers - so I'd expect it to be rehashed. I am happy to do that.

You should have done that before posting a list of problems. Every problem you listed is addressed in my summary and in the papers by Miles.

FIRST read the paper, THEN write a critique. If you have forgotten it, read it again. This is what they teach in grade school. Do not write a book report on a book you have not read.

• I am creating this thread to gather posts that begin to derail other threads when members like THHuxleynew and others begin to question the entire field of LENR and draw the attention of other members to start endless circular arguments that end derailing and diluting the value of the threads where those comments are posted. I will probably move several posts from other threads to this one to offer a space to keep the argument ongoing without disrupting the threads. Everyone is welcome to join the discussion that most probably will rage on this thread as long as the arguments are civil and we avoid insults, mockery or derision.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• One important note: please do not return to the “foamgate”discussion, it won’t be allowed here. We closed that thread already, no point on going back to that. Posts dealing with that topic will be removed.

I certainly Hope to see LENR helping humans to blossom, and I'm here to help it happen.

• The real difference between us, which I have noted a few times and you not acknowledged, is our attitude towards the interpretation of experimental data. You believe that an unbiassed expert, looking at the LENR data, would be convinced that LENR existed. I don't.

I do not "believe" that. I have observed that is a fact. I know just about every expert in the world who has looked at the experimental data. All but three or four of them were convinced that LENR exists. I know in detail why they were convinced, and to what extent, and what aspects of the research they are convinced of; i.e., they are all sure of the tritium but not necessarily biological transmutation claims.

It is true that hundreds of other scientists are not convinced, but these others have not read the literature and they know nothing about cold fusion, so their opinions do not count. I am sure they have not read the literature because most of them say they have not. They say there is no literature. Not only that, but they do not know what instruments were used, what results were obtained, or what conclusions were drawn. A person cannot have a valid opinion about experimental science he has not read.

You say "I don't." Yes, but you have no basis for your belief. You have not spoken with the experts who have looked at the LENR data. You have not read what they wrote. So you have no idea what percent of them are convinced, and what percent are not convinced. You are speculating about the opinions of a group of people you have not met, or talked to, or read. This is your imagination, with no real-world evidence. Whereas I am talking about real people whose opinions I know in detail. Let me repeat: The group of experts who have looked at the data is small, several hundred people. I know them. You don't.

Whether this group is biased or unbiased is another matter. I agree with them, so I think they are unbiased. You haven't read them, or the literature, so you have no idea whether they are biased. You can only judge bias after carefully reading the papers and then reading the critiques of the people whose judgement you wish to judge.

• The group of experts who have looked at the data is small, several hundred people.

Needless to say, many non-experts have read papers. People have visited LENR-CANR.org 6.7 million times and downloaded 4.5 million papers. When I say "experts," I mean electrochemists, and experts in tritium, calorimetry, and other relevant fields. I mean people who would be qualified to replicate, or assist in a replication.

Electrochemistry is a small world. Martin Fleischmann knew just about every academic electrochemist in the world, and they all knew him. Many people know about tritium, but only a handful of experts know a lot about it. People like Jalbert, who designed the tritium detection facilities at Los Alamos and the PPPL. He along with most other top experts participated in cold fusion experiments and confirmed that the effect is real.

You can probably find a distinguished expert in tritium who does not believe cold fusion is real. Ask him questions, and you will quickly discover that he has not read the papers and he knows nothing about cold fusion experiments. So, obviously, his opinion does not count.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.