Covid-19 News

• Trump offers large amount for exclusive access to vaccine.

The Trump administration has offered a German medical company “large sums of money” for exclusive access to a Covid-19 vaccine, German media have reported.

The German government is trying to fight off what it sees as an aggressive takeover bid by the US, the broadsheet Die Welt reports, citing German government circles.

The US president had offered the Tübingen-based biopharmaceutical company CureVac “large sums of money” to gain exclusive access to their work, wrote Die Welt.

According to an anonymous source quoted in the newspaper, Trump was doing everything to secure a vaccine against the coronavirus for the US, “but for the US only”.

With allies like Trump who needs enemas.

• instead of focusing on number of cases - which depends so heavily on testing- I prefer to focus on the number of deaths.

The problem is, deaths lag infections by 2 or 3 weeks. That's how long it takes most patients to succumb and die. The other problem is there are very few deaths compared to cases (~2%), so the curve is very grainy. For example, in France over 4 days recently the numbers were 3, 11, 3, 15.

A few weeks ago, the level of testing per capita was similar in most countries, so you can compare the proportions, even if the absolute numbers are less reliable. The two countries with less testing was the U.S., which was far lower, and Korea which was higher. I can't find those stats now. I think most countries other than the U.S. have tested far more than the number of confirmed cases, which I suppose means they have a statistically valid way to estimate hidden cases. The Korean have tested 0.5% of their whole population (240,668 out of 51 million). I suppose that is statistically significant. Granted, some people will get the disease after testing, the numbers go out of date.

Data from Korea:

https://www.statista.com/stati…pected-coronavirus-cases/

btw if you consider taking malaria drug as a precaution, check with your doctor first. Russian expert saying that it is effective in lowering body's autoimmune response and not targeting the virus. So it is useless unless you are unable critical condition.

Your doctor won't know because nobody knows. Chloroquine is probably best reserved to give at the start of infection or if it seems to worsen (high fever and cough). Probably best given with an antiviral such as Remdesivir . If you can find it. But realistically, there is a lot of documentation suggesting that these agents fail in many advanced cases. In some case, everything doable fails. And whether or not to use chloroquine therapeutically or preventatively or both isn't clear. In cell cultures, it does both but that's cell cultures and not people.

For what it's worth (not much!), I acquired some online from India Chloroquine but I won't take it unless I get infected or very seriously and obviously exposed.

• This is one of the things I do not understand.

On the one hand thank you to the knowledgable contributors to this board who have provided advice on how to boost ones immune system taking vitamin D etc.

A few posts back we also had news from a French expert advising not to take ibuprofen as;

“Anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of complications when there is a fever or infection.”

It is also known that patients with compromised immune systems are more at risk.

But then it is usually the patients immune response that kills them and some have posted news that some countries are trying to use immunosuppressants on Corona cases.

So I am finding it hard to make sense of this.

I guess that the immune system has different layers and mechanisms and some individuals are prone to a cytokine storm and that is what kills the patient.

• I guess that the immune system has different layers and mechanisms

True. Immune systems are third only to cellular nuclear systems and nervous systems in complexity

I prefer nuclear physics to immune systems any day.. those immunology lectures long ago were a real headache.

Ibuprofen.. aspirin.. turmeric other weak antiinflammatories

follow the expert advice.

Not useful for coronavirus.. early or late..

Maybe prednisone or dexamethasone .. strong antiiflammatories

at the late stage of cytokine onslaught

but that is a last fling of the die

• We don't know why so few covid-19 cases have been reported ...

www.newscientist.com › article › 2236760-we-dont-know-why-so-fe.

5 days ago - Experts still don’t know why so few cases of the new coronavirus have been reported in Africa, despite China – where the virus originated – being the continent’s top trading partner and the continent having a population of 1.3 billion people. ... Mary Stephen of the WHO, who is based 

Obvious isn't it? There is a massive black market trade of chloroquine in Africa ever since the governments tried to restrict its use because the malarial parasite was becoming increasingly resistant to it. It is also used as a cheap anti-HIV drug . The clinical trials of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine have already been done and are 100% effective!

If this is not generally prescribed immediately to all coronavirus sufferers then we should hold the government and medical authorities responsible for gross negligence.

• Official Post

https://www.lacortenews.com/n/…treatment-for-coronavirus

Columbia University Center for Infection and Immunity’s Dr. W. Ian Lipkin told Fox Business that a paper will soon be published in “a very prominent medical journal,” shows “ten out of ten patients treated with plasma from patients who’ve recovered from COVID-19 had excellent results.

“This is the first news, not the last, by any means, that suggests that there may be a therapy that’s very useful,” he said, adding: “we could have treatments in four weeks that could begin to save lives.” “We’re gonna have to get approval through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration), and we’re gonna have to get approval of institutional review boards associated with our individual institutions,” Lipkin said.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore agree that this method could prove useful. Immunologist Arturo Casadevall published a paper on the proposal today in The Journal of Clinical Investigation.

“Deployment of this option requires no research or development. “It could be deployed within a couple of weeks since it relies on standard blood-banking practices,” he said.

• Something like this would be an amazing development if it works on a mass scale. Fingers crossed.

Obvious isn't it? There is a massive black market trade of chloroquine in Africa ever since the governments tried to restrict its use because the malarial parasite was becoming increasingly resistant to it. It is also used as a cheap anti-HIV drug . The clinical trials of chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine have already been done and are 100% effective!

OK, I'm really tired of stupid shit like this. Either give a scholarly reference or at least a respectable authority or STFU!

Chloroquine is not an approved or proven anti-HIV drug and there is insufficient evidence that it works significantly against corona virus much less at 100% effective levels. At best, it seems it may be able to potentiate the action of other antivirals and even that is very preliminary. And while a very safe drug, chloroquine does cause hypersensitivity (allergic) reactions which can be severe as well as the potential for damage to various parts of the eye.

......This plasma therapy would only treat a very few patients.(rich and private) and could not be rolled out for general use on the NHS. But it's worth a try if all else fails.

Incorrect. The technology is little different from blood transfusion. In fact type and crossmatch is even less critical for plasma from type AB donors than for blood. If the plasma is processed into immuno-globulins, it's more complicated to make but easier to administer. Millions and millions of transfusions are performed each year. Once worked out, the process of giving plasma would be not very different.

However, doubt on its efficacy has been voiced. One Chinese doctor of particular interest, not an old person, received everything known to man to try to save him including convalescent plasma and died anyway. But Dr. Lipkin holds a very responsible position and has done excellent and extensive work so I would love to see what the paper in question actually claims. Hopefully it will have been done double blind or at least with a control group. If not, how would they know the outcomes without the treatments? The clinical course of the disease is not predictable.

Plasma as a blood product prepared from blood donations is used in blood transfusions, typically as fresh frozen plasma (FFP) or plasma Frozen Within 24 Hours After Phlebotomy (PF24). When donating whole blood or packed red blood cell (PRBC) transfusions, O- is the most desirable and is considered a "universal donor," since it has neither A nor B antigens and can be safely transfused to most recipients. Type AB+ is the "universal recipient" type for PRBC donations. However, for plasma the situation is somewhat reversed. Blood donation centers will sometimes collect only plasma from AB donors through apheresis, as their plasma does not contain the antibodies that may cross react with recipient antigens. As such, AB is often considered the "universal donor" for plasma. Special programs exist just to cater to the male AB plasma donor, because of concerns about transfusion related acute lung injury (TRALI) and female donors who may have higher leukocyte antibodies.[14] However, some studies show an increased risk of TRALI despite increased leukocyte antibodies in women who have been pregnant.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_plasma

There are issues of transmitting infections including HIV and perhaps even CJD (mad cow) so the risk/benefit ratio would have to be worked out. But it would emphatically not be limited to very few rich and private patients. Not in the US anyway. I can't speak for the NHS. It is not always well spoken of when spending money on novel treatments is discussed.

• Plenty of evidence of chloroquine black market use in Africa - just use Google - they used to even add it to the salt and its abuse led to malaria parasite resistance. Then here's an article in the Lancet reviewing its effectiveness against HIV:

New insights into the antiviral effects of chloroquine - The Lancet

www.thelancet.com › article › PIIS1473-3099(06)70361-9 › fulltext

by A Savarino - ‎2006 - ‎Cited by 92 - ‎Related articles
    1 Feb 2006 - On the HIV/AIDS front, chloroquine (250 mg twice daily) has been administered to HIV-1-infected patients with baseline viral loads over 50 000 ...

• from the lancet article:

The broad spectrum antiviral effects of chloroquine deserve particular attention in a time in which the world is threatened by the possibility of a new influenza pandemic, and the availability of effective drugs would be fundamental during evaluation of an effective vaccine. The effect of chloroquine against replication of Orthomyxoviridae has long been known.9
    , 10
    Inhibitory effects of chloroquine on both type A and B influenza viruses have been described.9
    , 10
    We are currently investigating the inhibitory effect of chloroquine on the H5N9/A/chicken/Italy/9097/97 avian influenza virus, recently isolated from poultry in Italy.11
    Depending on the viral challenging doses and the methods adopted to detect the antiviral effects, the inhibitory concentrations fell within the 0·5–10 μmol/L range—ie, clinically achievable in plasma during malaria treatment (LDT, AS, ID, RC, and AC, unpublished data). If these effects are confirmed, chloroquine would deserve to be tested against the H5N1 type A avian influenza virus, currently a matter of serious concern for public health.

They have been using a chloroquine analogue mefloquine in Indonesia which could also be effective against coronavirus transmission and infection. The older generation who would be most affected by COVID-19 probably still buy their tried and tested chloroquine on the black market - accounting again for the small number of cases (even if SOT isn't having any of this)! I think the evidence for using these quinine analogues against COVID 19 is overwhelming - I couldn't understand why it was not being prescribed to the trapped passengers on the quarantined cruise ships which would have made an excellent clinical trial (and saved many lives since then).

On the HIV/AIDS front, chloroquine (250 mg twice daily) has been administered to HIV-1-infected patients with baseline viral loads over 50 000 copies per mL, in combination with lamivudine (150 mg twice daily) and hydroxyurea (500 mg twice daily) in an ongoing clinical trial in India.2

In the study cited, chloroquine was used to potentiate a well known anti-retrovirus therapy (ART) drug, not by itself. The standard of care in the USA is a combination of anti-retroviral drugs targeting in part, reverse transcriptase. Preset combinations are now available in a single pill, once or twice a day which improves compliance and achieves zero detectable virus (by PCR) in a large proportion of non-neglected cases. Chloroquine should definitely be studied against COVID-19 but in combination with the most theoretically promising anti-retroviral drugs. The only time it would make sense to take chloroquine alone for COVID-19 would be if there is no other choice which indeed can be the case at present.

• SOT, thanks for your advice. I ordered the Chloroquine. last week. Assuming I get it, I am leaning towards taking it only if I feel the symptoms. I haven't received it yet so this is all hypothetical, But I believe there is evidence this works. You can play LENR forum Doctor any time :) Plus I am thinking of fleeing to a malaria stricken country, they all seem safer.

Subscribe to our newsletter

It's sent once a month, you can unsubscribe at anytime!

View archive of previous newsletters

* indicates required

Your email address will be used to send you email newsletters only. See our Privacy Policy for more information.

Our Partners

Supporting researchers for over 20 years
Want to Advertise or Sponsor LENR Forum?
CLICK HERE to contact us.